MNT Reform LS1028A Processor Module
Note: The 8 GB module version is discontinued in favor of streamlined production. If you bought the 8 GB module, you will be upgraded to the 16 GB module. The second batch is delayed due to chip shortages. We expect it to be ready in April/May 2024.
A Fully Open Hardware Processor Module.
The LS1028A is the open hardware system-on-module featuring the NXP Layerscape LS1028A processor with 16GB of DDR4 RAM. It can be used in the MNT Reform laptop or in any other custom device.
- Fully open hardware design (Altium sources published, can be opened in KiCAD)
- NXP LS1028A SoC is fully supported by mainline Linux
- Ability to boot the system without any binary blobs (see next section for caveat)
- 16GB DDR4 RAM
- 2x Cortex-A72 cores at 1.5GHz
- Big PCIe address space allows usage of some external AMD, NVidia GPUs (experimental)
- Vivante GC7000UL GPU supported by open source Mesa graphics library
- Roughly 30% higher power consumption than i.MX8MQ with 4GB RAM
- 2 faster cores instead of 4 energy-efficient, but slower cores
- No HDMI output. Secondary PCIe lane available on HDMI connector
- eDP display requires a firmware blob. This can be worked around with a mPCIe/PCIe display adapter, but this takes up a PCIe slot
- System-on-Chip: NXP LS1028A
- CPU: 2x ARM Cortex-A72 (1.5GHz, 1MB L2, 48KB L1I, 32KB L1D, ECC, Cache Coherent Interconnect CCI-400)
- GPU: Vivante GC7000L (open source etnaviv drivers in Linux kernel), ARM eDP Controller
- Memory: 16GB DDR4
- 2x PCIe 3.0 (1x external PCIe 3.0 routed to HDMI pins)
- SATA 3
- 2x USB 3.0
- 1GBit Ethernet PHY
- SAI audio
- eMMC (16GB), QSPI flash, EEPROM
- SD, UART, SPI, I2C, PWM, GPIO
- Powered by single 5V input
In the Box
- LS1028A Processor/RAM Module to plug into MNT Reform
- Internal eDP display adapter
- Machined heatsink
- Manuals and Downloads
- Modularity Comparison Table
- For questions, updates and feedback, join the MNT Community or write us an email.
Read our detailed status update including action shots.
- MNT Reform CM4 Processor Module Adapter €149.00
- MNT Reform i.MX8MPlus Processor Module €399.00
- MNT Reform Kintex-7 FPGA Processor Module €1,599.00
- MNT Reform €1,199.00
- MNT Reform Operator Handbook €39.00